This position is open to all qualified candidates.
This is the position of Physicist (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow) in the Atomic and Molecular Physics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to train postdoctoral researchers to conceive, plan and conduct highly specialized research in incumbent’s area of specialization. The incumbent will be expected to perform scholarly research and participate in making contributions to the fields of physical science.
Duties of the position may include but are not limited to:
- Collect and evaluate existing spectroscopic parameters from the literature, including those that are new to HITRAN, such as advanced line-shape parameters.
- Develop semi-empirical algorithms that the best data can be extended to all transitions in the database and to improve the quality and extent of the HITRAN database towards atmospheric research.
- Assist other scientists and/or programmers in developing programs for working with the HITRAN data.
- Prepare refereed publications and present talks at professional meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
All applicants must meet these Basic Requirements: A. Degree: physics; or related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics; OR B. Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in physics totaling at least 24 semester hours, plus appropriate experience or additional education. In either A or B above, the courses must have included a fundamental course in general physics and, in addition, courses in any two of the following: electricity and magnetism, heat, light, mechanics, modern physics, and sound.
In addition to Basic Requirements above, you must have: a) One year of specialized experience that is equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to grade 9 level work in the Federal government. The experience would have included defining scientific and system requirements to develop and evaluate advanced scientific and numerical algorithms; performing scientific studies involving satellite measurements; preparing publications and presenting talks at professional meetings.
Education for Grade 11: Master's or equivalent graduate degree
Combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
Application Procedures: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply please visit USAJOBS
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.