AREA OF CONSIDERATION: Open to all qualified candidates.
Note: First consideration may be made after 14 days of the opening date of this vacancy.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to serve as Program Manager for a range of SAO projects. As Program Manager, the incumbent is responsible for carrying out aspects of all phases of space and ground-based astronomical projects, as well as for other contracts and grants. This includes developing and maintaining schedules, including using the schedule to track a project’s performance against costs.
This is a career ladder opportunity with promotion potential to grade 13. Selection for this position to be made at the grade 12 or 13 level. If selected at the grade 12 candidates may be non competitively promoted to the grade 13, upon the recommendation of the supervisor based on classification requirements, satisfactory performance and qualifications of the employee.
Duties at Grade 12:
1. The incumbent is responsible for program management from proposal preparation through development and operations, including schedule development and tracking, contract planning and budget formulation, procurement, financial recordkeeping, analysis and reporting, and subcontract administration.
2. The incumbent assists in developing multi-year budgets, including expenditures and labor cost projections, and provides budgets, projections and other data for reviews as required.
3. The incumbent oversees and authorizes contract purchase requisitions and ensures that all expenditures are allocated to appropriate fund categories; tracks expenditures versus plan and analyzes and reports variances; and oversees preparation of monthly and quarterly reports such as NASA 533 submissions.
4. Determines and monitors expenditures and labor levels for subcontracts against plan, including checking and approving subcontractor invoices and initiating subcontract modifications.
5. Assists in Earned Value Management (EVM) activities, including supporting EVM specialists, assembling data, and preparing variance analyses of EVM-related reports.
6. Develops and implements a product release plan, managing change control of the project. deliverables.
7. Ensures that technical progress is aligned with project budget and schedule. Advises and seeks guidance from senior PM leadership as needed.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
In addition to the above, duties for grade 13:
1. The incumbent develops multi-year budgets, including expenditures and labor cost projections, and provides budgets, projections and other data for reviews as required.
2. Manages short and long range planning activities, initiates a comprehensive evaluation system for review and analysis of proposed costs, project development and performance.
3. Gives presentations or briefings on all aspects of the project.
4. Participates in regular information session to plan, maintain productive interaction with staff and senior PM to ensures that technical progress is aligned with project budget and schedule.
Candidates for the grade 12 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 11 that is in the normal line of progression for this occupation. Such experience includes but is not limited to working on a space flight or ground based mission, being part of a government, industry or university technology development or mission study program.
Candidates for the grade 13 must possess a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 12 in the normal line of progression for the occupation. Such experience includes but is not limited to working on a space flight or ground based mission, being part of a government, industry or university technology development or mission study program. In addition, experience with proposal preparation.
For information on qualification requirements, see https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0300/program-management-series-0340/
Application Procedures: We are only accepting online applications for this position. To apply please visit USAJOBS
For the latest information on the COVID-19 vaccination requirements and its impact on your application, click on Smithsonian Institution’s Frequently Asked Questions.
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in our workplace.